Friday, April 20, 2012

What A Film Should Be Like: According to Stanley Kubrick

Courtesy: Edgemar Center for the Arts


Well a few days ago I was on tumblr and I ran across this interesting quote from director Stanley Kubrick explaining what a film should be like:

"A film is - or should be - more like music than fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later."

In all honesty I didn't really pay attention to the quote but then I started thinking about it and realized that he's absolutely right about film being more like music than fiction.

While working on my film I was spending too much time thinking about what the theme was gonna be, how I was gonna present myself in the film and while that's important those things will only come as I continue working on the film all of those pieces the theme, what's behind the emotion, and the meaning will all come together once the film is done.

As a director this is an important lesson that I've learned and I will never forget this lesson

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment